Notice: This entry was published 5 years ago and may no longer reflect my views today.
In my two weeks without wifi, I had to make do with my phone’s data. Most of the time, I’d surf on my phone, but once in a while, I’d hook it up to my laptop through USB tethering and I can get online from there. With a 10GB limit between me and four other people, I had to be very careful with my usage not only to stay below our data cap but also so as not to deter my family’s usage.
I took screenshots of a few of my frequent sites during my embargo. Some fared fine, others not so much.
That said, my own tumblog isn’t any better. Without funny photosets and Masonry, it looked very bare. I’d say it’s still functional if I also allowed images. My posts just won’t “stack” right. I checked out some other popular Tumblrs as well. Of note is how a lot of the pretty themes seem to break when JS is disabled. Something to think about when you’re developing a theme.
This blog turned out okay, although it’s glaringly obvious how much I rely on images. I’m very careless about providing alt text too. That’s something I should definitely change. I did take a look at all your other blogs too, and everyone was fine. No worries there!
Here’s Google without any script or images. Works great! Same for Gmail, but it will ask you to switch to an HTML version before loading your mail.
I decided to check my data usage on my laptop during my little exercise, and AT&T was completely broken. Oh well.
And of course, through all of this, Motherfucking Website worked perfectly.
(P.S. I have internet now!)